Wealthy and well educated Americans drink more alcohol than do Americans with less money and less education, according to a recent Gallup poll.

Image via Forbes. Image 1.Image via Forbes

Overall, 64% of adults drink alcohol. Fifty-two percent of those with a high school diploma or less said they drink, while 80% of college graduates said they drink. And 78% of people who earn $75,000 or more drink, compared to 45% of those who make $30,000 or less. This could be because wealthy people are more likely to participate in activities that involve drinking like eating out, going on vacation, and socializing with colleagues.

A potential flaw in the study is that the poll asks if participants drink, not how much they drink - so claiming that wealthy Americans consume more alcohol would misleading. (A better way to put it might be: a greater percentage of wealthy individuals say they drink alcohol.)

Either way, we were most surprised by the finding that only 64% of adults say they generally drink alcohol. Maybe we've just never met the other 36%.

Cover image: Flickr